Girl, 5, traumatised and sick after falling face first into dog poo

A girl, aged five, was left crying and being sick after falling face first into dog poo left on a pavement next to a public park.

Sarah Varley was walking daughter daughter, Emelia, home from school at around 3pm yesterday when the child fell outside Shroggs Park in Halifax.

Unfortunately, she fell on top of leaves that were obscuring a large pile of dog poo that had been left in the middle of the path.

The poo had gone all over Emelia’s front, on her school top, on her hands, on her face and even a bit in her mouth.

The dog poo went in Emelia’s face and mouth as well as on her front and hands
(Image: Sarah Varley)

The five-year-old burst into tears and as Sarah went to get something to clean her traumatised daughter with, sister Ella took a photo of the horrible moment.

Emelia started to gag and was sick but thankfully it appears as though she has not become seriously ill.

Sarah, from Boothtown, said: “I just dropped her off at school and asked her teacher to keep an eye on her. I’m going to report it to the council too.

“The smell made her sick. Shes a really gaggy kid as it is. Any smell will make her gag. She has a fear of germs.”

Sarah is hopeful the owner of the dog can be brought to justice.

She added: “It’s disgusting. We have two dogs and always pick up after them.

“It’s a nightmare near the school. People walk past to take the dogs onto the park but don’t pick up the mess. They shouldn’t have dogs if they won’t clean up after them.”

Contact with dog faeces can cause humans to develop Toxocariasis, which in most cases causes stomach pain, a cough or a temperature but occasionally can lead to problems with organs such as the liver, lungs, eyes or brain.

Download the YorkshireLive app to customise the news that matters to you and get the latest updates first.

YorkshireLive – Halifax